Monday, May 19, 2014

Wine Time Floating Surprise Card POTW

It's my turn to share a Project of the Week here and at Repeat Impression's blog, The House that Stamps Built.  I am sharing several techniques and a fun surprise when the card is opened featuring the brand new Wine Time set just released by Repeat Impressions. I started by sponging purple distress ink on a white square of cardstock through a stencil by Heidi Swapp. I cut the center out with a Spellbinders die and also cut the shape out of another white scrap, then stamped the wine glasses and sentiment. Then I paper pieced the wine, sponged the edges and replaced that piece in the hole in the sponged stencil front. Sponging with stencils and using the negative space after die-cutting creates a lovely front of a card. But the real magic happens when the card is opened. Take a look:

The wine bottle, glass and circle sentiment appear to be floating above the card when it is opened! To create this look, cut two pieces of cardstock for your card base with an extra 1/2 inch in length. I wanted a 5 1/4 inch square card when finished, so I cut two purple pieces 5 1/4' x 5 3/4" and scored the longer side at the half inch mark. The two scored half inch folds meet in the middle of the card and strong two sided tape is applied to both 1/2 inch folds. I stamped and paper pieced the wine glass and bottle, then cut them out. I also stamped the Happy Hour sentiment and punched that out with a circle punch. Then I cut three strips of acetate 1/2 inch wide by 3", 4 1/4", and 2 1/2". I attached the three images with glue dots to the acetate, then attached the acetate to the strong two sided tape on the folds in the center of the card. Lining up those two center folds with the strong two sided tape is the hardest part of this card because when they stick to each other, there is no getting it apart. After attaching the front to the back, I stamped another funny Wine Time sentiment in purple ink on a white square, punched a Happy Birthday border punch by Martha Stewart and attached that piece to the bottom center of the card. Here is a picture of the completed center of the card:

This was a fun card to make with a great set of Wine Time stamps. Hope you enjoyed my tutorial and will try some floating surprise cards of your own.

I am entering this card in the My Favorites challenge at Paper Crafting Challenge (of course these Wine Time stamps from Repeat Impressions are my favorite stamps currently), and No DP at Speedy Fox and Friends.

3 comments:

Stampsnob. said...

thank you for joining us at Speedy TV with this lovely card........Lis

Margy said...

Karen, this card is so much fun! I've already purchased this entire set - so excited to use it for all my wine drinking friends.

Kathy Bradley said...

What a pretty and awesome card - love your design. Thanks for joining us at MFP's Speedy Fox & Friends challenge.