Thursday, January 28, 2016

First Card with a New Technique and Dies I Love


I am a huge fan of Karen D. and her Snippets blog! I think I pin her cards the most of any of the blogs I subscribe to! Recently she posted some gorgeous cards and then a tutorial on how to make beautiful and realistic looking woodgrain on our cards. Here is a link to her tutorial. This is my first card and you will see many more on my blog soon. I followed Karen's tutorial and will share the hardest part is waiting for the glue to dry:) After it does dry, you simply score from the back and apply distress ink direct to paper to the front, spritzing it to mix the colors. For this one I used Rusty Hinge, Scattered Straw and Weathered Wood. I suggest attaching the completed woodgrain piece with strong two sided tape. I used a tape runner for this one and the corners and edges kept coming up. The woodgrain piece curls somewhat when the water is sprayed to mix the colors. I pulled out some new dies to complete this card. The brick wall and fence are from a die set called New England Stone Wall and Gate by Elizabeth Crafts. I cut the wall pieces out of kraft paper and sponged this with distress inks too. I added some green branches from Penny Black, a little red bird from Memory Box and a larger black bird from Impression Obsession.

I am entering this card in the Anything Goes challenges at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge and Crafty Sentiments.

3 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

I am seeing this technique around a lot at the moment - you have really done a wonderful job with it here Karen
Blessings
Maxine

Lin said...

I love Karen's work, too! You did a great job following her directions for your plank background - and I love all the texture on your card, especially that stone wall! Thanks for playing along with us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

Karen Dunbrook said...

Thanks so much for your most kind words Karen...very appreciated!
I am so happy you had the chance to try out the woodgrain bkg. It is so easy and fun and I giggle when you said the hardest part was waiting for the glue to dry.
great card...nice dies.
hugs,
Karen