Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Blog Candy Contests and New Tonic Gold Embossing Card


Would you like to win some blog candy? Of course you would! I am starting TWO blog candy contests today on my blog! In both cases, I need your help and if you help, you could win some great stamping and die-cutting goodies!

My first Blog Candy Contest has to do with the embossing technique shown on the card above and here is more detail:


I am not quite ready to write a tutorial or share the details yet- I need a name for the technique and that is where you can help. I showed some friends and they suggested Patent Leather - but when I picture Patent Leather, it is black and totally smooth- like the patent leather dress shoes from my childhood. These pieces are totally textured, but different from when you normally melt embossing powder. I subscribe to hundreds of blogs and check Pinterest boards every day for new ideas, and I have never seen this technique, so I think it is new?  What does it remind you of? The best name I can think of is Textured Embossing Mix- I know,boring.... It is a little like faux (colored) leather, but that title has been used and used. Think of a name and leave it in a comment on my blog, and if your idea is the one I choose, you will be sent a package of fun stamping and die-cutting goodies. (Sorry, I can only mail to U.S. residents.) THIS CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED.

**Edited to Add Update: I received many excellent suggestions of names for this technique. I have chosen to use Designs by Donna's suggestion that it looks like a camo pattern. I am going to call it Metallic Camo Technique. Donna- I have a prize package of dies, stamps, sequins and a magazine that features one of my articles ready to go to you. Just need a snail mail address, and I will try to contact you directly for that.**

To create the card above, I added a strip of the textured embossing mix of Tonic gold, black and silver embossing powders to a black card base. I embossed the whole card with an embossing folder from We R Memory Keepers. In doing so, the embossed strip lost some of its texture, so I will probably not emboss future projects in an embossing folder. I love love love Tonic's Crystal Drops (available here on the website) and I added a gold Crystal Drop to each black intersection and a black Crystal Drop to each intersection on the texture strip. I attached Tonic's "Make A Wish" from the Everyday Sentiments Two Collection to complete the card.

THIS BLOG CONTEST IS STILL OPEN:  My second Blog Candy Contest has to do with the number of (Google) followers you see over to the right of my blog. It has hovered close to 500 for quite some time now. I would really love to see the number of Followers and friends cross the 500 + mark and keep moving upward. If you are already a follower, I appreciate that more than you know. If you are not, please sign up as one and leave me a comment you have done so. If you are already a follower, or want extra chances to win, refer someone to my blog who becomes a follower, and leave me a comment you have done so. Tell your friends, followers, anyone you can to take a minute to visit my blog and sign up as a follower. When the number hits 500, I will draw a name from the comments left on one of my blog posts and you might win. (Again, I can only send the blog candy package to U.S. residents.)

I appreciate every one of my followers and subscribers. That number on the side may not seem like a big deal, but it can be a factor when we want to grow in this crafting industry.

**Update on this Blog Candy Contest: My quest for 500 followers is not going as well:( The timing of this attempt to reach 500+ followers is the issue. Blogger had announced that they were going to be deleting followers who do not have a Google account here. This happened mid January and  I went from 482 followers down to 466:( But I am not giving up! I still need your help. Sign up as a follower and/or refer friends to do the same and someone is going to receive the blog candy pictured at the top right of my blog. It will remain there until we hit the goal of 500 Blogger friends and followers. IF YOU SIGN UP AS A NEW FOLLOWER OR REFER SOMEONE WHO DOES, YOU NEED TO LEAVE A COMMENT THAT YOU HAVE DONE SO TO BE IN THE RUNNING TO WIN!**

This is what you can win- lots of stamps, embossing folders, dies, glues, sequins and a magazine featuring an article I wrote:




Thanks and good luck in the contests! I will keep them open until I get a name for my technique and 500+ followers.

I am entering this card in the Anything Goes challenges at 613 Avenue Create and Crafty Friends.

17 comments:

designbydonna said...

Karen, your embossing technique is so pretty. It reminds me of camo prints but with lots more pizzaz. I would call it Classy Camo

Leanne said...

This is absolutely beautiful, never seen before. The moment I saw it it reminded me of a porous surface. When I googled porous surface images, I found asphalt. So how about 'Asphalt embossing technique?'
I'm your long time follower but not a regular blogger & have a US mailing address.

Verna Angerhofer said...

Love the look! How a out Texture Dazzling!

Unknown said...

I have joined your blog and will try to find others to do so! Gotta get that number above 500!!!!

I love tonic products - they also have the cutest logo, donchya think?

Unknown said...

Karen,
I believe the art technique that describes your make a wish project embossing technique is called "impasto", which is a thick application of paint that is intentionally textured, sometimes with sand or something else pebbly. So, this might be called "Heat Embossed Impasto" or "Embossing Powder Impasto". Looks classy and sounds classy!

Catherine

Robin said...

This is just gorgeous! Even though the colors are different it reminds me of a cheetah or a calico cat. Maybe it could be called Cheetah Embossing or Calico Embossing technique. I've been a follower for a long time now but I will try to find others. I know you will hit the 500 mark soon. Hugs, Robin

Jane Willis said...

I was already following you with Bloglovin which is my preferred reader, but I've flowed with GFC too.
As a name for your gorgeous technique, I suggest Nappa Leather - it has that soft, textured effect
Jane

Jane Willis said...

PS I'm not a US resident, so I don't qualify for the candy, but I couldn't resist joining in anyway!
Jane

Anne Temple said...

This is gorgeous. Love the technique you've created. It reminds me of a textured smudged look. Hope you get your 500+ followers soon. That's fantastic.

Creations by Shirl said...

That is one awesome background technique...Thanks for sharing it with Crafty Friends Challenge!

Bettina L. said...

This is awsome. Love the pillow design and the added embossed details. Thanks for playing at 613 Avenue Create and good luck. Hope to see you back tomorrow for a new challenge. Bettina DT Member 613 Avenue Create xx

Multiplicity Crafts said...

Hi Karen, It's Maranda with Multiplicity Crafts! I am also with SAS4Kids and a new follower of your blog! Best wishes on reaching your goal!! :)

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hi Karen, thanks so much for joining my blog, I really appreciate you. I will welcome you on your next post, and when I welcome you will mention this candy.
Also I will put your candy on my sidebar hope you make the 500 soon :)
Shaz in Oz.x

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

I'm a your new follower; thanks for being a my follower and for the chance in this candy. I put the pic in my sidebard.

Unknown said...

I just signed up as a follower. Hope you reach, and surpass, your goal of 500!
Sandy

Nikki said...

Faux embossed hammered leather or metal if you like
I'm aleady a follower and have added you in my sidebar
Thank you for the chance
hugs Nikki

Golden Goddess Designs said...

wooohooo! Karen I am new follower #497!!! I know how you feel, I am so close to 300 and then the google thing...I lost 12-15 followers during that change. Good luck! You are so close! Any day now!

Alicia